Rabindranath Tagore quotes to keep you motivated. We bring you the best Rabindranath Tagore quotes that encapsulate his wisdom, beliefs, and teachings.
“It is so simple to be happy, but so difficult to be simple”
Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore was born on 7 May 1861 in Kolkata. Rabindranath Tagore was a poet, novelist, playwright, painter, and philosopher. Rabindranath Tagore was the first person to receive the Nobel Prize from Asia.
He was the thirteenth child of his parents. In childhood, he was fondly called ‘Rabi’. He wrote his first poem at the age of eight, at the age of sixteen he started writing stories and plays.
In his life, he wrote a thousand poems, eight novels, eight-story collections, and many articles on various subjects. Not only this, but Rabindranath Tagore was also a music lover and composed more than 2000 songs in his life. The two songs written by him are the national anthem of India and Bangladesh today.
His quotes also echo his legacy as a Bengali polymath and Renaissance artist and touch a wide variety of topics like politics, spirituality, the meaning of life, happiness, family, religion, and so on. Find below some of the most renowned quotes by Rabindranath Tagore.
Rabindranath Tagore Quotes
- “Let me light my lamp”, says the star, “And never debate if it will help to remove the darkness” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Our creation is the modification of relationship.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The revilement of the infinite in the finite, which is the motive of all creation, is not seen in its perfection in the starry heavens, in the beauty of the flowers. It is in the soul of man.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The flower which is single need not envy the thorns that are numerous.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Let the dead have the immortality of fame, but the living the immortality of love.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Those who own much have much to fear” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “I’m lost in the middle of my birthday. I want my friends, their touch, with the earth’s last love. I will take life’s final offering, I will take the last human blessing.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The mountain remains unmoved at seeming defeat by the mist.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Night’s darkness is the bag that bursts with the gold of the dawn.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The fundamental desire of life is the desire to exist.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “God seeks comrades and claims love, the Devil seeks slaves and claims obedience.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “In the world’s audience hall, the simple blade of grass sits on the same carpet with the sunbeams, and the stars of midnight” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “By plucking her petals, you do not gather the beauty of the flower.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Beauty is truth’s smile when she beholds her own face in a perfect mirror.” -Rabindranath Tagore
Rabindranath Tagore quotes on love
- “Love adorns itself; it seeks to prove inward joy by outward beauty.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Life’s errors cry for the merciful beauty that can modulate their isolation into a harmony with the whole.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “No civilized society can thrive upon victims, whose humanity has been permanently mutilated.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “A mind all logic is like a knife all blade.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Life is given to us, we earn it by giving it.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Set the bird’s wings with gold and it will never again soar in the sky.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Love is not a mere impulse, it must contain truth, which is law.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Love’s gift cannot be given, it waits to be accepted.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The emancipation of our physical nature is in attaining health, of our social being in attaining goodness, and of our self in attaining love.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Leave out my name from the gift if it be a burden, but keep my song.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “To understand anything is to find in it something which is our own, and it is the discovery of ourselves outside us which makes us glad. This relation of understanding is partial, but the relation of love is complete. In love the sense of difference” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The potentiality of perfection outweighs actual contradictions… Existence in itself is here to prove that it cannot be an evil.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Man’s cry is to reach his fullest expression.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Truth cannot afford to be tolerant where it faces positive evil.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Our nature is obscured by work done by the compulsion of want or fear. The mother reveals herself in the service of her children, so our true freedom is not the freedom from action but freedom in action, which can only be attained in the work of love.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Asks the Possible of the Impossible, “Where is your dwelling-place?” “In the dreams of the Impotent,” comes the answer.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Trees are the earth’s endless effort to speak to the listening heaven.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “There is a point where in the mystery of existence contradictions meet; where movement is not all movement and stillness is not all stillness, where the idea and the form, the within and the without, are united; where infinite becomes finite, yet not”
- “You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water. Don’t let yourself indulge in vain wishes.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Age considers; youth ventures.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The newer people, of this modern age, are more eager to amass than to realize.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The highest education is that which does not merely give us information but makes our life in harmony with all existence.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “A dewdrop is a perfect integrity that has no filial memory of its parentage.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “I slept and dreamt that life was joy, I awoke and saw that life was service, I acted and behold, service was joy.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Don’t limit a child to your own learning, for he was born in another time.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “To be outspoken is easy when you do not wait to speak the complete truth.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Gray hairs are signs of wisdom if you hold your tongue, speak and they are but hairs, as in the young.” -Rabindranath Tagore
Quotes by Rabindranath Tagore
- “If I say that He is within me, the universe is ashamed; if I say that He is without me, it is falsehood.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The traveler has to knock at every alien door to come to his own, and he has to wonder through all the outer worlds to reach the innermost shrine at the end.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “We gain freedom when we have paid the full price for our right to live.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Emancipation from the bondage of the soil is no freedom for the tree.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “When we rejoice in our fullness, then we can part without fruits with joy.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “The burden of self is lightened when I laugh at myself.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Praise shames me, for I secretly beg for it.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “Mistakes live in the neighborhood of truth and therefore delude us.” -Rabindranath Tagore
- “When we accept any discipline for ourselves, we try to avoid everything except that which is necessary for our purpose; it is this purposefulness, which belongs to the adult mind, that we force upon school children. We say, “Never keep your mind alert” -Rabindranath Tagore
Facts related to Rabindranath Tagore
He received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913 for his poetry Gitanjali. He was the first non-European to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature. Nobel prize was not directly accepted by Gurudev. The award was taken on his behalf by a British ambassador and then given to him. He was also conferred with the title of ‘Sir’ by the British Government, which he returned after the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh scandal. Although the British government persuaded him to withdraw the title of ‘Sir’, he did not agree.
Rabindranath Tagore wrote national anthems not only for India but also for Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. He was the second person after Swami Vivekananda to address the Parliament of World Religions twice. He died on August 7, 1941, due to prostate cancer. Tagore had so much respect among the people that people did not want to talk about his death.
You can also read . . .
Today I have shared the best Rabindranath Tagore quotes if you like these quotes then please share your opinion in the comment section below.