Buddha was a spiritual teacher who lived in India sometime between the sixth and fourth centuries BC. Historians believe he was born Prince Siddhartha Gautama in the 5th or 6th Century BC in Nepal. If you want to see the best Gautam Buddha quotes in one place, then you’ll LOVE this post.
Buddhism is a faith that was founded by Siddhartha Gautama (“the Buddha”) more than 2,500 years ago in India. He left the palace to search for it and eventually attained enlightenment. With about 470 million followers, scholars consider Buddhism one of the major world religions.
Until he died at the age of 80, Buddha taught many people how to achieve enlightenment. His doctrines eventually became what is known as Buddhism.
We bring you the wisdom of the philosopher with the best Gautam Buddha quotes on love, life, peace, and buddha quotes images.
Gautam Buddha Quotes
The following Buddha quotes embody the spiritual leader’s emphasis on compassion, peace, and happiness.
- “The mind is everything. What you think you become.”
- “Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.”
- “Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.”
- “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
- “To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.”
- “What we think, we become.”
- “In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.”
- “Imagine that every person in the world is enlightened but you. They are all your teachers, each doing just the right things to help you.”
- “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”
- “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”
- “Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.”
- “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”
- “Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts.”
- “Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.”
- “To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise, we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.”
Buddha Quotes on Life
- “It is better to travel well than to arrive.”
- “Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.”
- Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”
- “Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.”
- “He who gives away shall have real gain. He who subdues himself shall be free; he shall cease to be a slave of passions. The righteous man casts off evil, and by rooting out lust, bitterness, and illusion do we reach Nirvana.”
- “It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.”
- “Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.”
- “The foolish man conceives the idea of ‘self.’ The wise man sees there is no ground on which to build the idea of ‘self;’ thus, he has a right conception of the world and well concludes that all compounds amassed by sorrow will be dissolved again, but the truth will remain.”
Buddha Quotes on Karma
What goes around comes around. You reap what you sow. You’ve made your bed, now lie in it. These are the kinds of sayings that people associate with karma. However, the following quotes show that it has a deeper meaning.
- Karma grows from our hearts. Karma terminates from our hearts
- Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
- It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven, or hell.
- Just as one can make a lot of garlands from a heap of flowers, so man, subject to birth and death as he is, should make himself a lot of good karma.
- When the action comes out of nothing it creates no karma.
- A man should make himself a lot of good karma.
- If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good.
- To be selfish, greedy, and unwilling to help the needy gives rise to future starvation and clothlessness.
Quotes by Buddha
Gautam Buddha Quotes on Love
- “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” -Buddha
- “It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.”
- “There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind.”
- “Remember to take care of yourself. You can’t pour from an empty cup.”
- “Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.”
- “Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two.”
- “With fools, there is no companionship. Rather than to live with men who are selfish, vain, quarrelsome, and obstinate, let a man walk alone.”
- “You only lose what you cling to.”
- “Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good.”
- “A jug fills drop by drop.”
- “Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.”
- “Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.”
- “I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.”
- “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.”
- “He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.”
- “An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.”
Buddha Quotes On Death
Some people may face death as much as Buddha did. Put this painful subject in the perspective of these quotes and perhaps they will also help you find some peace.
Death carries off a man busy picking flowers with a besotted mind like a great flood does a sleeping village. -Gautama Buddha
Without health life is not life; it is only a state of languor and suffering – an image of death. -Buddha
- Everything is changeable, everything appears and disappears; there is no blissful peace until one passes beyond the agony of life and death.
Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely. -Buddha
- We must be diligent today. To wait until tomorrow is too late. Death comes unexpectedly. How can we bargain with it?
- No one can escape death and unhappiness. If people expect only happiness in life, they will be disappointed.
- Here will I live in the rainy season, here in the autumn and in the summer: thus muses the fool. He realizes not the danger (of death).
- We must be diligent today. To wait until tomorrow is too late. Death comes unexpectedly. How can we bargain with it?
Quotes of Gautam Buddha
- “Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.”
- “To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one’s own in the midst of abundance.”
- “You cannot travel on the path until you become the path itself.”
- “There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.”
- “All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If the mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?”
- “Without health, life is not life; it is only a state of languor and suffering – an image of death.”
- “If you knew what I know about the power of giving you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.”
- “Learn this from water: loud splashes the brook but the ocean’s depth is calm.”
- “Happiness is a choice, not a result. Nothing will make you happy until you choose to be happy. No person will make you happy unless you decide to be happy. Your happiness will not come to you. It can only come from you.”
- “The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live.”
- “If you find no one to support you on the spiritual path, walk alone. There is no companionship with the immature.”
- “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- “The tongue like a sharp knife. Kills without drawing blood.”
- “There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.”
- “Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
- “Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.”
- “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”
Buddha Quotes on Change
- “Rule your mind or it will rule you.”
- “Wear your ego like a loose-fitting garment.”
- “In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.”
- “Your body is precious. It is our vehicle for awakening. Treat it with care.”
- “Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded.”
- “Those who have failed to work toward the truth have missed the purpose of living.”
- “There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.”
- “The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”
- “What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.”
- “Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.”
- “True love is born from understanding.”
- “A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but is he peaceful, loving.
Buddha Inspirational Quotes
- “The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”
- “Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.”
- “However many holy words you read, However many you speak, What good will they do you If you do not act on upon them?”
- “If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.”
- “You are the community now. Be a lamp for yourselves. Be your own refuge. Seek for no other. All things must pass. Strive on diligently. Don’t give up.”
- “When words are both true and kind they can change the world.”
- “It is ridiculous to think that somebody else can make you happy or unhappy.”
- “A disciplined mind brings happiness.”
- “People with opinions just go around bothering one another.”
- “Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.”
- “There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.”
Some Best Buddha Motivational Quotes
- “Love is a gift of one’s innermost soul to another so both can be whole.” -Buddha
- “Every experience, no matter how bad it seems, holds within it a blessing of some kind. The goal is to find it.”
- “If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good.”
- “Remembering a wrong is like carrying a burden on the mind.”
- “Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.”
These are Some Best Buddha Quotes on Peace
Here we have gathered some of his quotes about Peace. Regardless of where you are from or what your current situation is, they will serve as reminders of what is truly important.
Here are Some Quotes By Gautam Buddha
- “If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.” -Buddha
- “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” -Buddha
The Best Buddha Quotes on Anger
- “Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”
- “You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
- “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
- “Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.”
- “To be angry is to let others’ mistakes punish yourself.”
- “When it is impossible for anger to arise within you, you find no outside enemies anywhere.”
- “There is no fire like passion. No crime like hatred. No sorrow like separation. No sickness like hunger, and no joy like the joy of freedom.”
- “Suppose an enemy has hurt you in his own domain, why should you annoy yourself and hurt your mind in your own domain?”
- “An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside.”
Buddha taught many people how to achieve enlightenment. I hope you like these collections of Gautam Buddha Quotes. Lord Buddha Quotes give us the inspiration to move forward in our life and believe in our karma and work.
His life, teachings, philosophy, and Gautam Buddha quotes have spread all across the globe today and continue to guide people to the path of enlightenment.
If you’ve found us useful, please do consider telling your friends about it. All you have to do is send these quotes on WhatsApp and ask them to subscribe to us.
If you like these quotes, feel free to pin them on Pinterest and share them around! Happy reading!
Enjoy These Famous Gautam Buddha Quotes on Youtube Also